The WMAA will be running two Swordplay tournaments, inspired by the singlestick competitions of 19th Century Highland Games and practised in Olympics and Empire Games until WW1 and only now returning to Highland Games in Scotland and the US.
* Longsword Tournament, in which the two handed sword variety used by the Highlanders was called the claidheamh dà làimh, which means "two-handed sword". Our synthetic replica
* Broadsword Tournament, the basket hilted broadsword, synonymous with Highland Regiments was the template of the Singlestick play.In Scottish Gaelic, it is called the claidheamh mòr, which we see anglicised into claymore; which means "great sword' not to be confused with the Continental "great swords".
The two schools who will be competing in the Tournament are:
For more information,please visit the following Tournament Rules page.
- demonstrations of Scottish Backhold Wrestling,
- Highland Swordplay for Kids
- Cutting demonstrations.
For 2015 the Geelong Highland Gathering will be at Deakin University Waurn Ponds Campus. The Campus is a wonderfully picturesque location with plenty of trees, parking as well as our usual enthralling attractions. It is also easily accessible for non-Geelong people as the campus is located right at the end of the Geelong by-pass.
As part of being at Deakin University, the Gathering will move away from its usual date to be on the first weekend in March. For 2015, this means the Sunday 1st March 2015.
Members of the Geelong Highland Gathering Association, pipe bands, soloists, vendors, dancers and any other interested party are encouraged to sign on to the website to receive ongoing notifications and newsletters regarding the gathering. Please use the Members link at the top of the page.
2015 Victorian Pipe Band Championships
Geelong will be hosting the Victorian Pipe Band Championships in 2015. The Committee are dedicated to making this a great event at an even greater location, Deakin University Waurn Ponds Campus, read more!
Keep an eye on this page, or, sign up on the website to receive notification of website updates.
2015 Pipe Band Competition
The Pipe Band Competition will be held on Sunday 1st March 2015, to obtain an entry form please contact Pipe Bands Victoria.
Alternatively, you can download the form here.
Band Parking & Tent Arrangements
Deakin University Waurn Ponds Campus is a large campus located on the south western side of Geelong. Access is easy via the Geelong Bypass and exiting at the Waurn Ponds/Grovedale exit.
We hope to have several options available to Bands for their tents and band trailers, depending on negotiations with Deakin:
- There is a large amount of free parking around the campus, bands can use this parking and set their tent up where they park and walk down to the competition surface
- There are also several grassed areas off the main arena where we are hoping bands can pitch their tents, vehicles will be allowed to drop off equipment, move to and park in a designated parking area
- The Committee will be providing an area on the main arena behind the Heavy Games area and far enough from the competition circles and tuning areas to not be a distraction. A single car with a band trailer will be allowed to park on the area with the bands tent. Band buses and other vehicles will have access to the drop areas either side of the arena.
- All gazebos or tents must be weighted down.
You can use the Contact Us menu link at the top of the page.
The sponsorship packages are now available for the 2015 Geelong Highland Gathering. Make sure your company or business takes advantage of this great opportunity to be seen as culturally aware and diverse. These are the same packages as available for our 2014 Gathering.